Your home can be making you sick!

Posted by Anonymous (not verified) 2/1/17 - 1:45pm

Error message

Deprecated function: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in menu_set_active_trail() (line 2405 of /usr/www/users/meditfjfaq/includes/

preventative healthcare tests

Dust may cause allergies and bacteria can make you sick, but this dirt and grime is not the only health hazard that may be spreading in your home! Research shows that roof stains, algae, lichens, fungi, moss, and mildew can lead to mould growth that can cause really bad health problems too!

The way that mould affects your health differs from person to person, as some are more sensitive to others. But basically, overexposure to mould can cause:

  • Coughing and wheezing
  • Eye irritation
  • Skin irritation
  • Sinusitis
  • Allergic asthma
  • Hypersensitivity pneumonitis (for those who have chronic lung illnesses)
  • Nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea (if mould enters the body orally, or gets absorbed through your skin)

We absorb mould compounds mainly through respiration, which is why most of the effects slowly show in our breathing capability. But, if mould compounds reach the respirable levels of the lungs, it can enter the blood stream through the alveoli. 

What are mycotoxins?

Mycotoxin is a toxic secondary metabolite produced by organisms of the fungus kingdom. It can be caused by several different types of moulds. According to reliable sources, mycotoxins, being a severe version of bad mould in your home, can cause:

  • Cancer (aflatoxin best characterized as potential human carcinogen)
  • Hypersensitivity pneumonitis/pulmonary fibrosis
  • Pulmonary injury/hemosiderosis (bleeding)
  • Neurotoxicity
  • Hematologic and immunologic disorders
  • Hepatic, endocrine and/or renal toxicities
  • Pregnancy, gastrointestinal and/or cardiac conditions

Mould types differ in size, shape and colour. If you have mould growing in your home (most commonly in kitchen cupboards, bathroom cupboards and garden sheds), you should have the problem taken care of as soon as possible. Mould growing in homes is mainly caused by damping in concrete and wood- if your walls are cracked and water is slowly seeping through, or if wood has been damaged and is remaining damp in humid conditions.

What you should do if you have problems with mould in your home:

Firstly, you need to kill all mould and algae in and around your home. You can use a product like Ushevu to kill this mould. It works to kill poison and removes micro contaminants in 24 hours.

Once you have killed all the mould, and there is no more visible sign of algae, you should use a topcoat paint that has additional anti mould additives that prevents mould and contaminants from showing in the future.

Once you have done the ‘repair and prepare’ phase, consider replacing old, dingy cupboards in your kitchen and bathroom. Decorative melamine face board is the safest, most durable and most aesthetically pleasing alternative to cupboards and shelving. It is easy to install, comes in different colours and textures, and can be modified to suit any design style that pleases you.

See a range of MelaWood and MelaWood SupaGloss products to give you more inspiration on your kitchen/bathroom make-over!

What to do if you think your mould is making you sick?

Our country luckily does not have a problem with mould fatalities, like America, UK, Russia and some parts of Europe. Our problem, however, is that we do not always pay close attention to problems that may be affecting our health. The mould in your home could be making you sick without your awareness!

It is important that you have your body checked out by a healthcare professional regularly, to make sure that you are fit and healthy. Preventative care health tests can help pick up if something in your body is not quite right! Make sure you let your doctor know as soon as possible if you think your breathing is changing for the worse, and get yourself back into a healthy lifestyle as soon as possible.